The Rocky River Historical Society along with the Cowan Pottery Museum Associates is thrilled to announce the installation of an Ohio Historical Marker at the old Cowan Property at 19621 Lake Avenue.
This will be Rocky River’s first Ohio Historical Marker! At this location, from 1920 until its closure in 1931 as a casualty of the Depression, were the factory, design studio and showroom of Cowan Pottery. Cowan Pottery played a significant role in the formative years of American ceramic art.
The pottery was founded in 1912 by artist and educator R. Guy Cowan. Under his direction, Cowan Pottery established a national reputation for its uniquely designed home products sold through fine department stores. Additionally, Cowan and his design artists were pioneers in the field of ceramic sculpture.